September 26, 2018 | 2years | General
The NeighbourhoodHarpercroft Farm and Garden Cottage are located in between Dundonald and Troon on the West Coast of Scotland,United Kingdom.
The cottage is a perfect base from which to explore. The local towns of Troon, Prestwick and Ayr are only 5, 10 and 15 minutes away respectively. The countryside and coastal area are stunning and are well worth exploring. There are many fantastic restaurants and bars within easy reach of the property and we have mentioned a few at the bottom of this page.
The world famous Turnberry Golf course is a picturesque 40 minute drive further down the coast where as well as playing golf, you can eat in the club house (families and children welcome). Or if you're after something really special, you can eat at the hotel which overlooks the golf course and spectacular coast line.
Not far from Turnberry is Culzean Castle (part of the National Trust for Scotland), you can tour the house and walk the extensive grounds which includes a fantastic adventure playground.
Glasgow, a wonderfully vibrant city, boasts many superb eateries, bars and restaurants as well as museums and shopping to suit all. It is a direct and easy 40 minute train journey from Troon station, itself only 2 minutes drive from the cottage and benefits from free parking.
HistoryThis is the region that gave us our National Bard, Robert Burns. Explore the great attractions like Robert Burns Birthplace Museum in Alloway (Ayr), or visit the late medieval Brig o’ Doon made famous by him in his poem Tam o’Shanter.
Dundonald Castle is a mile away and you can tour the building, wander around an ancient grounds or stop for a bite to eat at the cafe. They quite often have events on so is well worth a visit.
Getting aroundMost places are best accessed by car but Troon Station (where there is free parking) goes directly to Glasgow Central and from there you can easily reach Edinburgh and many other places.
Details for taxi firms can be found below.
- Local Shop - Co-op in Troon - Muirhead (2 miles from cottage). Open 7am - 10pm 7 days a week. 155 Dundonald Road, Troon KA10 7AY. 01292 317884
- Taxi firms:
- 8’EEs Cabs - 01292 311449
- Streamline Taxis - 01292 261010
- Super Markets:
- Morrisons - 10 Dukes Rd, Troon KA10 6QX 01292 310440
- Tescos - Riverview Retail Park, 16 Riverway, Irvine KA12 8AY
- Pharmacy - Willis Pharmacy - 15 Templehill, Troon KA10 6BQ 01292 312848
- Post Office - 151 Dundonald Road, Troon KA10 7AY. 01292 317466
- Petrol Station - ESSO - Main Street, Loans KA10 7EX
- Police Stations:
- Troon - 116 Portland Street, Troon KA10 6QN 01786 289070
- Ayr - 1 King Street, Ayr KA8 0BU 01786 289070
- Dry Cleaner & Laundrette - Darley Laundrette 149 Dundonald Road, Troon KA19 7AY. 01292 314997